Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Thrift Store Finds and Projects!!!

These past few weeks have been full of ministry, packing and projects! A few months back we scored a couple of pieces from assorted thrift stores- and each has become an object of my long pent-up creative energy!

This little beauty we found while staying at the coast for.... $5!!!!!
How could we pass it up???

The reason for the low price being, we believe, that it was originally wired to hang like this. Imagine if you will...
Hmm...octopus, anyone?

I used sandpaper to distress the edging and highlight the details.
  I love all the character :)

And here is the finished product! 
How do you think it will look hanging in our dining-room-to-be?


While on the hunt for ingredients to begin another project, I came across these adorable little folding chairs! The store was having a 50% off sale, so together they were only $10!

I didn't like the finish, so I sanded it off (left: sanded/ right: untouched). Originally I had planned to paint them, but I think I like the aged look and rosey hues of the sanded chair on the left. 

My little man loves his new perch :)

You may have noticed a large roll of latch-hooking canvas in the first chair photo. What you may not have noticed was the obnoxious pile of plastic bags next to it. 
These contain 72 white t-shirts. My insane plan is to create a flokati rug similar to the one shown in the picture below.

(Click the photo to view the website with original instructions)

However, I would like my rug to be bigger than the one shown (only 4x6) and either white or off-white.
 Check out the photo below to get an idea of the scale I'm thinking.
The plan is a 5'x8' area rug for our new living room.

This particular project is long-term, so I will update as I go along. At this time I have spent roughly 16 hours cutting t-shirts into 4"x 1" inch strips, and have an estimated 4 more until the cutting is done.

After that only approximately 40 hours of latch hooking!!!
What did I get myself into?!!!!!
But the good news is the final product will be a $300- 500 rug for only $70!

Happy crafting everyone! I'll talk to you in 5 years... when my rug is finished ;)

2 comments:

Karin said...

I want you to know that I don't read too many blogs, but I love the way you write. I love your creative spirit and your positive and transparent personal reveals. So happy for you guys. :)

Family of 5 said...

You have been busy lil beaver! I can't wait to see all your finished projects in your new home! And I can relate to "what did I get myself into projects"...happens too often!! In fact I have one in the works...but just can't seem to make myself start yet!!