Thursday, January 20, 2011

Romans 1:18-22


Romans 1:18-23 18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did   not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools.

During my quiet time this afternoon I was struck by this passage. As I read the first verse I felt a slight welling up of fear- it is in the present tense. I am many times both ungodly and unrighteous, and the wrath of the God Who created all things could smother me in an instant. My thoughts flitted to the fact I know I’m saved, almost by rote, and I suddenly realized it had been a long time since I’d considered myself “saved”. I’m not talking in the christianese sense of the word (that I’m a believer), but that 2000 years ago Christ died to pay the penalty for sin I currently do so I wouldn’t feel the wrath that is currently descending.
I was rescued from a very real and imminent danger just as surely as if I were standing blind in the middle of a highway with a semi-truck 2 seconds away from bearing down on me. And, knowing He would die, Christ pushed me out of the way and was crushed Himself.

And, amazing grace! Christ not only saved me from the danger I was and currently would be in, but He gave me a truly wonderful hope here on earth, and promised me heaven for the other 99.999999999...% of my existence after I die.
Thank you, Jesus, for rescuing me.

No comments: